Pages

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

What a Word

I'm not sure why I picked the word opportunity when I selected it the other day; I had good reasoning behind the selection, but beyond that it spoke to me and I didn't know why. Well we are four days into the new year, and I already have a very clear picture of why opportunity picked me.

On January 2 my husband and I were presented with a very unique and interesting opportunity. Our first thought was to completely disregard it as outrageous, but after taking a few deep breaths and pondering the situation we are starting to consider it. We have a lot of time to think, learn, ask questions, and look at this opportunity from all angles, but there it was - laid before us two days into the new year.

Last evening we learned the terrible news that a family at our school had lost their home and all of their belongings in a fast moving fire. Thankfully the family and their young pet made it out safely. My school family (faculty, staff AND students) have taken this opportunity to help out the family in any way possible. It is difficult to put into words how lucky I am to be where I am. I have never in my life been part of a group who so selflessly gave to any family or coworker in need.

The kids truly filled my heart today. Without hesitation, each of the 5th grade classes brought up things that "us kids" could do to help out our classmate's family. From suggestions to donate books and toys, to ideas for fundraisers and making cards the kids had many ideas of how they could help. One student offered her grandfather, who does tree trimming, and the tree in their front yard to provide wood to rebuild the house. Two other students, knowing their classmate's strong faith, shared that they would like to buy her a Bible because she probably lost that in the fire with all of her other things.

Now that, my friends, is a meaningful lesson. It's a lesson that can never be measured by filling in a bubble on a test, but it will last far longer than anything that could be.

No comments: