Pages

Saturday, January 8, 2011

How Do Assumptions Impact You?

The other day I read this post by Pernille Ripp, and it got me thinking about the assumptions I make on a daily basis.

Yesterday morning I slept through my alarm. I jumped up with a start and, knowing that we were forecasted to get 1 - 3 inches of snow, peeked out the window to see if there was ANY chance we might have a 2 hour delay. While a beautiful white dusting covered everything, it wasn't significant so I assumed we did not have a delay. I began my frantic dash to get to school on time. As I pulled up to the school one minute before my arrival time I was shocked to see an empty parking lot. My assumption was wrong. We had a two hour delay, and if I had simply taken a minute to check my phone, I would have known that it was not necessary for me to rush around in a panic to get to school on time.

This one assumption impacted me, and luckily I was able to use the extra time to get some good work done. But what about the assumptions I make that impact others and not in a positive way? It will be interesting to reflect upon my days and see exactly how those assumptions impact what I do in my classroom.

No comments: