Pages

Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Living the Dream

A few weeks ago I was talking to my friend as she was helping her son move into his first apartment.  It's a big step for any young person, but even more so because he was getting ready to begin his job working for the NFL. It was an exciting and difficult day for her, and, not being a mom, I could only imagine how she was feeling. As she expressed how difficult and emotional it was, I said the only thing I could think of:

I can’t imagine how hard this is. But how many moms can say that their child is living their dream! How amazing is this?

It’s true. How many people settle for whatever comes along instead of pursuing something they have always dreamed of doing? She had raised a young man who didn't settle, and here he was. He was about to begin living his dream!

As I was thinking about the start of the school year with our first day of inservice today, I realized that my mom could say the same thing. I wanted to be a teacher for as long as I could remember. And my brother, now a coast guard instructor pilot (formerly a search and rescue pilot) always wanted to fly. And here we both are, living our dreams for over 20 years. 

I wouldn’t say it’s been easy or what I had expected, but it was my dream. So this year, instead of saying that summer went too fast or that I’m disappointed to be back, I’m going to remember that I am one of those lucky people to be living my dream. And I’m going to make sure that I make the best of it.

No comments: