Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Learning at the Franklin

Yesterday I had the amazing opportunity, thanks to our local intermediate unit and a STEM grant they received, to attend a professional development session at The Franklin Institute in Philadelphia. The official title of the session was Demystifying Maker Spaces at the Franklin Institute, and I was completely stoked to have the opportunity to learn at the museum since I had never actually been there.

I went in having a lot of preconceived ideas about what the day would be about, and the biggest one was that we would be taking a look at how to set up a special space, the materials we need, and the things that the kids would create while they were there. I was also looking forward to seeing how the instructors connected this idea of a makers space in a museum with something that I could actually do back at school.

Boy was I wrong.

The day ended up being a big affirmation of what I've already been doing in our classroom during our clinic time, but I've been calling it Genius Hour. Imagine my surprise when the instructor even started the hands on part of our learning exactly the same way I start clinic with my kids: by showing Caine's Arcade! After watching the video and brainstorming everything we knew about different type of arcade games, we were split into groups. Each group was assigned to a different part of the museum, and our mission was to use that section of the museum to inspire our own arcade game. My group was assigned to Space Command, and we were off to see what we could find. We ended up with Solar System Shootout, and it was a lot of fun to create the project.

Each planet was worth a different amount of points based on its size

Once again, while getting the affirmation that I was on the right track was great, I wondered what new learning I would end up getting that I didn't bring with me on the bus. But as I reflect back on the day I realize that the experience gave me a lot to think about.

First, I was reminded once again that how you group kids (or adults) is extremely important. We were assigned to groups randomly with a dot on our name tags. While my group of 3 worked well together, I don't think we were comfortable enough with each other to have challenging discussions. I also was a little disappointed that my teammates weren't as eager to explore the museum after we finished in our assigned section as I was. Once again, I realized the importance of establishing a strong community in my classroom before jumping into projects like this.

Second, I learned how to be a more effective facilitator for my kids. This past year I played more of a hands off role, observing and helping when kids asked for help. Now I know that in order for the kids to be hands on and minds on, I need to be more active by following four steps:

  • Asking opening ended questions: Why did you do that? What were you thinking? Why do you think that happened? Would you change anything? What challenges did you experience? What were your successes? 
  • Encourage critical thinking - asking the open ended questions forces the kids to think critically and allows me to see the learning they need or they are getting
  • Cultivate a rich dialogue - giving individuals or groups the opportunity to share their ideas WHILE they are working, instead of just when they are finished, allows for kids to practice discussions, making suggestions, and accepting constructive criticism
  • Make connections - showing kids how their actions are like the work of real scientists or other workers in the real world
While I was thrilled to learn how to be a better facilitator, there was one other quote that really stuck with me. 

A makers space isn't so much a place or a thing that you make. It's a mindset that you have.

Let that sink in a second. Learning can be informal. The kids can direct the learning. The process is more important than the product. Reflection is important. There are multiple ways to solve a problem. It's okay to fail. We can learn a lot by listening to each other. 

We've been so worried about having a special room and finding the right materials, but really, it's not about that at all. The key to a makers space is all about having a different mindset. And thanks to my learning, I'm excited to continue to grow this mindset in my classroom.

No comments: