Pages

Friday, June 22, 2012

Glutton for Punishment?

I'm still trying to run. I started in 2009, and here I am three years later. Even though every time I finished a 5K I swear it's my last one and I swear I'm never running again, I am still giving it a go.

I'm not very good at it. I don't think my form is bad (at least I don't FEEL like I look like some of those people who jog past you on the trail flailing a variety of body parts), but I am S-L-O-W. As a snail. And I don't seem to get any faster. I don't particularly love the activity, but I don't especially dread it like I once did. It frustrates me to no end. I feel like I'm doing better but don't see improvement in terms of time or distance. When I don't get the positive results I'm expecting my spirits drop and I ask myself, "You are a glutton for punishment. What in the world are you doing? Why do you keep doing this?"

And believe me, I have asked myself these questions a lot. A LOT.

So you might be wondering what answers I keep coming up with to continue to fight what I often feel is a losing battle.

Believe me, I'm wondering the same thing. The only thing I can I come up with is that if I keep plugging away at it I've GOT to get better. If I put in the effort eventually I'm going to feel successful and meet my goal. Right? Not sure I believe it, but I keep trying just because I have that goal and would really, really like to meet it. 

So I guess I kind of am a glutton for punishment, or maybe I'm just stubborn. I could easily walk away and find something more enjoyable, something that's not quite such a challenge. But really - what fun would there be in meeting a goal like that?

No comments: