Pages

Friday, January 13, 2012

My First 30 Day Challenge

Towards the end of December, I shared this post about a 30 day challenge. My first challenge was something that 3 friends and I have been planning for a while, an exercise challenge. But first, a little bit of a back story.

In October, 2007 I embarked on a journey to improve my health. Over the course of the next two years I lost about 60 pounds using a combination of Weight Watchers online and exercising. This was my first experience with making online connections because I met several dear, supportive, amazing friends with whom I am still close today. While I had my online support across the country and had in person friends who cheered me on, I did all my exercising on my own. Unlike most people who want or need a workout buddy, I never wanted one and kept my exercising private.

With all the stressors of the past year I've gained back about 25 pounds. I still have my online friends supporting me, but now I have some friends in real life helping me out as well. Starting in October a small group of us have been exercising after school, and these little sessions have led us to my first challenge: completing 30 days of the Insanity Asylum program. I will say that I am modifying lots of the exercises, and we are doing cardio on our own on the weekends. But we are doing this program together.

As with any new experience I'm having good days, and I'm having bad days. On the good days I'm proud of myself for stepping out of my box, exercising with other people, and doing things I REALLY can't believe I'm doing. On the bad days I get frustrated with what I can't do and have to modify. Whether good or bad, I am growing (and shrinking) and that is what's important. Maybe when all is said and done, I'll have shrunk enough that my original potato chip challenge won't seem so daunting!

7 days down, 23 more to go! I'll let you know what happens! :)

No comments: