Pages

Tuesday, August 20, 2019

B Minus Is AOK

For the first time in 22 years I didn't spend the entire week before inservice at school, doing school work, or completely obsessed with school.

For the first time in 22 years, I haven't had any back to school teacher nightmares.

For the first time in 22 years, I didn't spend my last day of summer vacation at school.

And I'm ready enough.

I feel good. Actually I feel great!

I was excited (I know.... I know....) to attend our opening sessions today, and I was proud to be part of  a team of teachers leading one of the workshops.

I also got up, did some yoga, wrote in my journal, and went to the gym after school because I will never ever be my best teacher self if I don't take care of myself first.

I spent a lot of time being a perfectionist. I was that student who would rewrite her entire homework so that nobody knew how many times she had to erase mistakes. I still strive to be distinguished in areas where I'm passionate and willing to put forth the effort.

But I have learned to say no.

I am getting better at leaving school at school and making home about home.

And if that means I'm *just* proficient, I've finally learned that it's okay.

While I'll always do my best, if my best is a B- then I'll be the most awesome B- there is. Because as much as being a teacher is an important part of my life, there's now way more to my life than just being a teacher.

No comments: