Pages

Saturday, June 9, 2018

Year 20 in the Books

This year was exactly what I needed. Year 19 was hard, really hard, and it made me wonder if I was really supposed to be a teacher any more. Year 20 was the big, giant hug that said, "Yup, this is what you are supposed to be doing."

While I certainly didn't have the challenges I experienced last year, there were definitely still challenges of all shapes and sizes. I was also very nervous because I was teaching a very different group of students than I have ever (and when I say ever, I mean all 20 years ever) taught before. I didn't want to let down those people who asked me to take on that challenge. I was also out many days this year for professional learning, and everybody knows that being out can throw the kiddos and the teachers for a loop.

So what was it about this year that made it so much better? While I'm still reflecting, I have some thoughts on this.


  1. We embraced the ideas of having a growth mindset. We really learned about our brains (to the point that one of my kids said, "Well, my amygdala has me feeling really frustrated so I need to take a little break!"), we learned about how we learn, and we worked really hard to find and fix mistakes. It's okay to say it's okay to make mistakes, but if you don't persevere to fix those mistakes then you are missing the point.
  2. I gave the kids more control of the classroom. Yes, some of the desk arrangements they came up with made me twitchy, but the arrangements were theirs. I stepped back and let them be in charge in designing our room, picking their seats, and sometimes even choosing how they would show me their learning. It felt really good, and they rose to the challenge, so I want to continue to grow in this area next year.
  3. Things bothered me less. I have been on a personal journey to learn more about mindfulness, health, and gratitude. My own personal learning and growth helped me focus on what was really important at school and let the other stuff go. It's also amazing how happiness at home helps you be more productive at school.
  4. We were more creative. We designed parks, we built tiny houses, and we made roller coasters. And it wasn't because there was "extra time at the end of the year" or because they were fast finishers. It was because these tasks fit our units and gave the kids meaningful opportunities to collaborate, think critically, and be creative. I did notice that during these opportunities many of my friends struggled when things got hard. They LOVED the projects until they got hard. So that is an area we can continue to work on next year.
  5. My professional learning grew and grew. As part of our school's 1:1 planning team, I had the opportunity to take part in a training session and then work with a larger group to see how we could implement what we are learning at our school. Having the opportunity to think differently about learning really opened my eyes and help me grow this year, and I'm excited for the opportunities I will have next year.
  6. The kids.
I could go on and on. There's a lot to be thankful for, happy about, and excited about in regards to this year. I am thankful that, even after 20 years, I cried a little after I said goodbye to my kids. I was a little sad when I left my classroom yesterday. And I'm already excited for next year's possibilities.

Yup. This is what I'm supposed to be doing.

No comments: